By Dr Nishith Chandra , Cardiology
The little tube extrinsic into an blocked colonnade in a physique to transparent it is called a stent. A stent is used to heal enervated or slight arteries in a body. Depending on a placement, a stent revives a upsurge of fluids or blood.
Stents are possibly done adult of cosmetic or metal. Medicated stents extrinsic into arteries can assistance a blocked artery from removing blocked again.
The purpose of stents is to transparent blockages in passageways such as a arteries. Stents are used to provide a following conditions:
- Coronary heart illness (blockage in a artery provision blood to a heart)
- Peripheral artery illness (obstruction in a arteries provision blood to limbs and pelvis)
- Renal artery stenosis (narrowing of arteries carrying blood to kidneys)
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (swollen blood vessels in a abdomen)
- Carotid artery illness (narrowing of arteries carrying blood to a brain)
- Blocked airways
- Blocked bile ducts
- Damaged or blocked ureter (the channel carrying urine from a bladder)
The stairs concerned in a procession include:
- A tiny rent is done over a influenced area. The alloy will afterwards insert a catheter (hollow tube) inside a influenced area.
- An angiogram, or an imaging technique is used to beam a stent to be inserted.
- The blocked colonnade will be located and a stent will be installed.
Risks of stents include:
- Heart attack
- Blood clots
- Re-blockage of a artery
- Anaesthesia prompted respirating problems